Have you tried Matcha before? Why do you drink Matcha? Because it’s good for you? Or simply because you like the taste?
Many customers have asked me about Matcha. What is it, how to use it, why is it expensive, etc. So here are some short answers.
What is Matcha?
Matcha literally means powdered tea. However, the Matcha I am talking about is powdered Japanese Green Tea made from Tencha Tea. The tea leaves for Tencha are grown in the shade 3-4 weeks before harvest, the same way as Gyokuro, but processed differently.
If you have never heard of Tencha but know Gyokuro - now you can figure out why Matcha is expensive. Gyokuro is the highest grade of Japanese Green Tea.
You can find many articles about how great Matcha is for your health on the internet. I will leave that topic for those experts to discuss.
How to Enjoy Matcha
I like Matcha. Matcha is very easy to mix in many recipes. Many of my customers like to add Matcha to their morning smoothies.
In Japan, we incorporate the tea into cooking and baking. Matcha noodles, Matcha tofu, Matcha caramel, Matcha candy, Matcha cookies, Matcha chocolate… the list goes on! Today, I would like to introduce you to a traditional recipe and a sweet one.
How to use Matcha
- Traditional Ceremonial Way ~Usucha
- Rinse your Matcha Bowl. (A wide-mouth bowl can be used if you don’t have a Matcha Bowl. Being creative is part of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, too!)
- Put 2 Chashaku (tea scoops) or 1/2 tsp of Matcha into the tea bowl.
- Slowly pour 1/4-1/3 cup of hot water (80°C) into the bowl.
- Whisk the Matcha with a Chasen: bamboo whisk (this is essential; a wire whisk doesn’t work very well.), until it becomes frothy.
- Matcha Ice Cream the easy way
- Put 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a small mixing bowl and leave it at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- When the ice cream is soft, mix it with 1/2 - 1 tsp of Matcha. (Mix small quantities first. You can add more later but you can’t take it out!)
- Put it back into the freezer until firm and enjoy!
Where to buy Matcha
Of course at CHA CHA TEA! Click here to buy online or run to the store!!